USB Power Delivery… From Powering Your Mouse to Powering Your Computer
Literally billions of USB connectors are shipped each year, and USB provides data connectivity and power input to electronic devices ranging from your computer mouse and keyboard to digital cameras, storage device, phones, and tablets.
Clearly USB has been a very successful technology. Partly this can be attributed to the thoughtful design of the original USB technology and the positive impact of standardization. By standardizing peripheral interconnections across different electronics manufacturers and platforms, USB became ubiquitous. But to a similar degree, the success of USB has been driven by the consistent efforts of developers to improve the specification and enhance the capabilities of the technology. And, although many of these enhancements have addressed only behind the scenes technical issues, the most visible of them have primarily come in two areas: Data Rates, and Power Delivery.
As USB technology has evolved, it has included an ability to supply increasing amounts of electrical power from one device to another. The earliest USB specification included the ability to supply power to simple peripheral devices like a mouse, keyboard, or small storage drive. Power always flowed from the host side to the device side, and the specification made allowances for powering complex configurations that included multiple cascaded hubs and dozens of peripheral devices.
In the early days, this Power Delivery specification was a secondary capability. It supplied only a very limited amount of power and this power was only supplied in conjunction with a data connection. Later USB specs made allowance for higher levels of simple downstream Power Delivery to accommodate power hungry devices and eliminated the need for common peripherals like portable storage devices to provide their own dedicated power sources.
Globtek designs and manufactures power supplies and battery chargers for diverse needs, from basic consumer applications to advanced medical and scientific applications. Globtek provides power supplies and cables that are designed to provide the USB power to support the highest levels of USB Power and USB Charging without risk of overloading older devices from excessive voltage and power levels.
GlobTek provides AC DC power supplies and adapters and cables to most USB specifications. GlobTek provides external wall mount AC DC power Supply adapters in 6W and 18W with USB A type on board Jacks for use with separate USB Cables, these have 5-6V output options. GlobTek also provides 2 Prong and 3 Prong input desktop power supplies and adapters and AC DC wall plug in power supplies with output ranges of 5-6V with captive USB cords and output connector options such as USB Type C, Micro USB Type B, Min USB Type B, and Female USB Type A. Various connectors have further options for resistors to be placed on certain pins to signal to the end use system certain functionalities. GlobTek also offers, or is developing, USB Power delivery products (USB PD) as well as Quick Charge type power solutions in 18W, 36W, 60W, and 100W power platforms.
GlobTek's external AC-DC USB Power Supplies feature:
- Wall plug in with Output power from 1 W - 65 W
- Desktops Output power from 1 W - 100W
- Input Voltages for AC DC adapters from 90-264VAC, 50-60Hz
- DC Output Voltages for wall plug in power supplies offered between 5-6VDC in 0.1V increments
- ITE(Information Technology Equipment) / ICT(Information and communications technology) for Wall plug in Ac DC adapters
- IEC/UL/EN 60950-1 Certifications
- IEC/UL/EN 62368-1 Certifications
- Medical certifications
- IEC/ANSI/AAMI/EN 60601-1 3rd Edition with EMC 6060-1-2 4th edition certified
- IEC 60601-1-11 Power supplies for the home healthcare environment
- Household use IEC 60335-1 and/or UL 1310 Certifications
- LPS (Limited power source) ratings
- Most products have multiple Standard approvals such as LPS, IEC/EN 60950-1, 62368-1, 60335-1
- All standard models have North American (UL, ETL), European (CE), Russian (EAC), Ukraine, Japan (PSE), China (CCC), and Australian/New Zealand (RCM) Certifications
- Wall Mount AC DC power supplies offer fixed input plug and Interchangeable input blades with up to 14 standard options covering all major countries and regions.
- Products available in Desktop/Tabletop configurations with 2-prong (C8, C18) or 3-Prong (C14, C6) inlets or Interchangeable input blades with 9 standard options covering all major countries and regions.
- Efficiency: USA DOE Level VI / Eco-design Directive 2009/125/EC, (EU) 2019/1782 / Europe Code of Conduct on Energy Efficiency of External Power Supplies - Version 5
- Industry Standard Configurations as well as custom options
- SELV and are Isolated for safety purposes
- Most standard products have a minimum of IP21 Ingress protection
- Most standard products have elevated Surge tolerance for ESD
- Elevated IP, Ruggedized, and Water proof versions available
- Multitudes of standard output connector and overmold options
- Low cost custom connector overmold solutions
- Customized cable lengths